Tuesday, December 6, 2011

3 Essential Apps to Become a BlackBerry PlayBook Power User

Congratulations!  You just got a brand new BlackBerry PlayBook for Christmas.  Now what are the essential apps you need to become a power user? Well, I've done my best to compile this list of what I would consider the essential apps to really leverage this remarkable tablet.  First, off let me state that I am assuming you already have your basics like BlackBerry Bridge installed and configured.

1. BlueBox:  Access & Manage your files between your PlayBook, PC and BlackBerry

Whether it's videos, music, powerpoints, spreadsheets, pictures, etc.,  BlueBox which provides a gateway into DropBox let's you transfer these files simply across any and all of your devices.  This means you can easily access key content via the cloud without using your storage on the actual devices.  For example, I can take a picture or video on my PlayBook, transfer it to DropBox and share it with just my family, or access it from my home PC in a couple of seconds.  Or I can save my spreadsheet from work, and hope on the train and continue working on it without ever having to connect with a wire.  It's simple, wireless and free!

2.  Orb Launcher:  Stream multimedia from your home PC to your BlackBerry PlayBook wirelessly

Streaming content is simple with Orb.  Basically you just download and configure the desktop Orb Caster on your PC or Mac and then you install & setup the Orb launcher from AppWorld and you are good to go.  Now your 5 Terabytes of videos on your home is accessible to your PlayBook from any Internet connection without taking up any storage on your device.  If you have a 16GB version, this is a must have!  You have access to all your music, pictures, movies, PVR'd TV Shows,  and even your security and Web cameras right through your PlayBook.  A nice aspect of Orb is that regardless of  the format, if your PC can read it, it will stream thanks to the Flash Support of the PlayBook.  Now how cool is that?!

Here is a video by the author of the Orb Launcher detailing how to configure your PlayBook and demonstrating streaming.





3. IMT VNC: Remote control your PC from anywhere!

Anything you want to do on your PC, you can now do on your BlackBerry PlayBook.  If you are like me, that can mean quite a bit.  For example, I have my multi-room sound system completely connected to my PC and with IMT VNC, this means I also have it on my PlayBook.  If you connect your PC to your HDTV you now have a remote control that can completely control everything.  No need for watered down apps, when you can access the real deal app on your desktop.  Now, to be fair I do have to caution that the usability on the tablet can take some getting used to (e.g. right mouse button) but having this control will definitely make you to a power user.

With these 3 essential apps, you are well on your way to becoming a PlayBook Power User.  If you have other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I'm definitely going to checkout Orb when I get home tonight. I've been using a variety of tools to achieve a similar kind of thing, but it looks like Orb does it far neater, which has got to be good.

    ReplyDelete